Before I begin I feel I should address something. A few days ago Carrie Fisher unexpectedly and tragically passed away at the age of 60. But she still lives on through her work, through her iconic character Princess Leia, and her many other roles and works. I thought she was hilarious in the Amazon show Catastrophe. She was an iconic actress, writer, and star, and she inspired and touched the imagination of countless people including myself. She was a legend and she will be missed.
If you haven’t see Rogue One you need to stop reading this immediately and see Rogue One. You owe it to yourself and you owe it to Donnie Yen. Check out one of the trailers below…
Before the release of Rogue One, news came out that there were reshoots, and anybody who has seen the film knows there are a few shots from the trailers that ultimately don’t make it into the final film. But honestly, I think Rogue One may be one of my favorite Star Wars films. Without a doubt in the Top Four possibly even in the Top Three. I really didn’t think Gareth Edwards would be able to give us something this epic and inspiring. No offense Gareth, I like you, Godzilla was ya know okay-ish, but I can safely say Rogue One has some of the best Star Wars scenes in the series. I mean c’mon. I am the force and the force is with me. That (second) Vader scene. When Donnie Yen takes that little breath before blasting that tie fighter out of the sky. Donnie Yen has to be one of my favorite characters in the Star Wars universe. If Donnie Yen was around during the strong years of the Jedi Council he’d be sitting right next to Yoda, Mace, and Qui-Gon.
A few months ago I made some Unsubstantiated & Uninformed Predictions for Rogue One and now that the movie is out its time to tally up the results. Check out my predictions from way back…
So here are our predictions results… again, (massive) spoilers…
1. Ben Mendelsohn did in fact die in an explosion, technically on an exploding planet – 1 Point
2. Forest and Donnie totally also die and are both totally badass – 1 Point
3. We do in fact see Princess Leia during the fantastic ending of Rogue One, but we see way more that just her hair buns from afar like I assumed – 0 Points
4. C3PO and R2D2 both make an appearance, I only predicted one would show up (stupidly) – 0 Points
5. Naboo is never mentioned, thank the force, damn you George Lucas – 0 Points
6. Donnie Yen dodges many laser blasts in an awesome scene that proves once again how badass Donnie Yen is. Right now ghost Donnie Yen is hanging with ghost Ben Kenobi, Qui-Gon, Yoda, and Anakin – 1 Point
7. I don’t think we specifically saw anyone lose a hand but a bunch of people did get vaporized by the death star so I think its safe to say some hands were lost – Half Point
8. Diego Luna and Felicity Jones begin their relationship in a rocky manner but in the end they are without a doubts compadres – 1 Point
9. I’m 85% certain I saw Tom Holland swinging around during that beach battle – Half Point
10. Sadly we don’t get to see Mads Mikkelson cook anything or eat anyone, but we do get to see Mads Mikkelson, and thats pretty cool – 0 Points
11. There was definitely a sacrifice-ish move once or twice – 1 Point
12. Fortunately we do not see another Binks or any other Gungans for that matter, hopefully they were all driven to extinction – 0 Points
So… looks like I got 6 out of 12 or 50% basically an F, proving once again my predictions are indeed Unsubstantiated & Uninformed.
Tell us what you thought about Rogue One, where do you rank it in the Star Wars series? What did you think of CGI Tarkin? Feel free to let us know, and thanks for reading…
Photo Credit: Snagged from polygon.com